Chris Anderson: William, hi. Good to see you.
克里斯‧安德森(Chris Anderson):嗨,很高興見到你。
William Kamkwamba: Thanks.
威廉‧坎寬巴:謝謝
CA: So, we've got a picture, I think? Where is this?
克里斯:所以,我想這有張照片?這在哪裡呢?
WK: This is my home. This is where I live.
威廉:這是我家,我住的地方。
CA: Where? What country?
克里斯:在哪兒?哪個國家呢?
WK: In Malawi, Kasungu. In Kasungu. Yeah, Mala.
威廉:在馬拉威,卡松古(Kasungu)。在卡松古,對,馬拉威。
CA: OK. Now, you're 19 now?
克里斯:好,你現在十九歲嗎?
WK: Yeah. I'm 19 years now.
威廉:對,我現在十九歲。
CA: Five years ago you had an idea. What was that?
克里斯:五年前你有個想法,那是什麼?
WK: I wanted to make a windmill.
威廉:我想建造一座風車。
CA: A windmill?
克里斯:一座風車?
WK: Yeah.
威廉:對
CA: What, to power -- for lighting and stuff?
克里斯:所以,為什麼呢?為了發電照明等等嗎?
WK: Yeah.
威廉:對
CA: So what did you do? How did you realize that?
克里斯:所以你做了什麼?你怎麼體現這件事的?
WK: After I dropped out of school, I went to library, and I read a book that would -- "Using Energy," and I get information about doing the mill. And I tried, and I made it.
威廉:我從學校輟學後,我就去圖書館。 我讀了一本書,是「利用能源」 我獲得了建造風車的資訊 然後我嘗試建了
(Applause)
(掌聲)
CA: So you copied -- you exactly copied the design in the book.
克里斯:所以你完全沿用書中的設計嗎?
WK: Ah, no. I just --
威廉:阿,不,我只是...
CA: What happened?
克里斯:怎麼了?
WK: In fact, a design of the windmill that was in the book, it has got four -- ah -- three blades, and mine has got four blades.
威廉:事實上,在書中的風車磨坊設計中 有四個,呃...三個葉片 我的有四片
CA: The book had three, yours had four.
克里斯:書中的有三片,你的有四片
WK: Yeah.
威廉:對
CA: And you made it out of what?
克里斯:那你是用什麼建造而成的呢?
WK: I made four blades, just because I want to increase power.
威廉:我作四個葉片,因為我想要增加力量
CA: OK.
克里斯:OK
WK: Yeah.
威廉:嗯
CA: You tested three, and found that four worked better?
克里斯:你測了三片後,發現四片比較好嗎?
WK: Yeah. I test.
威廉:對,我測試了。
CA: And what did you make the windmill out of? What materials did you use?
克里斯:那你是用什麼建成風車的呢? 是用,你用的是什麼樣的建材。
WK: I use a bicycle frame, and a pulley, and plastic pipe, what then pulls --
威廉:我用了一台腳踏車的車架,一台滑車、還有塑膠管,用來拉...
CA: Do we have a picture of that? Can we have the next slide?
克里斯:你有風車的照片嗎?我們可以換下一張嗎?
WK: Yeah. The windmill.
威廉:對,風車。
CA: And so, and that windmill, what -- it worked?
克里斯:所以,風車有奏效嗎?
WK: When the wind blows, it rotates and generates.
威廉:當風吹時,會旋轉並產生
CA: How much electricity?
克里斯:多少電力
WK: 12 watts.
威廉:十二瓦
CA: And so, that lit a light for the house? How many lights?
克里斯:所以,用來點亮家中的燈嗎?點亮了幾盞?
WK: Four bulbs and two radios.
威廉:四個燈泡與兩台收音機。
CA: Wow.
克里斯:哇!
WK: Yeah.
威廉:對。
(Applause) CA: Next slide -- so who's that?
克里斯:所以 (掌聲) 下一張 所以那是誰?
WK: This is my parents, holding the radio.
威廉:那是我的父母,他們正在捧着收音機
CA: So what did they make of -- that you were 14, 15 at the time -- what did they make of this? They were impressed?
克里斯:所以他們的觀感是,你當時十四、十五歲 他們對此的觀感是什麼?他們覺得印象深刻嗎?
WK: Yeah.
威廉:是阿
CA: And so what's your -- what are you going to do with this?
克里斯:所以你打算,你接下來打算作什麼?
WK: Um --
威廉:嗯...
CA: What do you -- I mean -- do you want to build another one?
克里斯:你打算,我的意思是,你打算再建另一座嗎?
WK: Yeah, I want to build another one -- to pump water and irrigation for crops.
威廉:對,我想要再建另一座 用來汲水與灌溉,灌溉穀物
CA: So this one would have to be bigger?
克里斯:所以這台會大得多嗎?
WK: Yeah.
威廉:對
CA: How big?
克里斯:多大?
WK: I think it will produce more than 20 the watts.
威廉:我想會產生超過二十瓦的電力
CA: So that would produce irrigation for the entire village?
克里斯:那可以提供整座村莊的灌溉嗎?
WK: Yeah.
威廉:是的。
CA: Wow. And so you're talking to people here at TED to get people who might be able to help in some way to realize this dream?
克里斯:哇,所以你現在在TED對大家說話 所以這些人可能可以在某些方面幫助你 實現這個夢想嗎?
WK: Yeah, if they can help me with materials, yeah.
威廉:是的,如果他們能幫助我,給我一些建材,對
CA: And as you think of your life going forward, you're 19 now, do you picture continuing with this dream of working in energy?
克里斯:當你想到之後的人生 你現在十九歲,你會... 你能想見未來會持續這個夢想,並在能源上努力嗎?
WK: Yeah. I'm still thinking to work on energy.
威廉:是的,我還想繼續在能源上努力
CA: Wow. William, it's a real honor to have you at the TED conference. Thank you so much for coming.
克里斯:哇!威廉!TED座談會能有你真是榮幸! 很謝謝你來。
WK: Thank you.
威廉:謝謝你。
(Applause)
(掌聲)