Chris Anderson: William, hi. Good to see you.
克里斯 安德森:威廉,你好,很高兴见到你。
William Kamkwamba: Thanks.
威廉 凯门卡巴:谢谢。
CA: So, we've got a picture, I think? Where is this?
CA:那么,我想我们应该有一张图片吧?这是在哪?
WK: This is my home. This is where I live.
wk:这是我的家,我住的地方
CA: Where? What country?
CA:哪里呢?那个国家?
WK: In Malawi, Kasungu. In Kasungu. Yeah, Mala.
WK:在马拉维,卡森固。在卡森固,是的,马拉。
CA: OK. Now, you're 19 now?
CA:好的,现在你19岁吗?
WK: Yeah. I'm 19 years now.
WK:是的,我现在19岁。
CA: Five years ago you had an idea. What was that?
CA:五年前,你有个想法,什么想法啊?
WK: I wanted to make a windmill.
WK:我想做一个风车。
CA: A windmill?
CA:一个风车?
WK: Yeah.
WK:是的。
CA: What, to power -- for lighting and stuff?
CA:然后呢,拿来发电什么的吗?
WK: Yeah.
WK:是的。
CA: So what did you do? How did you realize that?
CA:那你怎么做的呢?你怎么实现的的呢?
WK: After I dropped out of school, I went to library, and I read a book that would -- "Using Energy," and I get information about doing the mill. And I tried, and I made it.
WK:我放学之后,就去图书馆。 我就去查阅会“应用能源”的书, 然后我就得到了有关制作风车的信息。 后来我就试着做了一个。
(Applause)
掌声。
CA: So you copied -- you exactly copied the design in the book.
CA:那你是模仿的--你就照着一本书里的设计就这么模仿做出来的?
WK: Ah, no. I just --
WK:啊,不,我只是--
CA: What happened?
CA:怎么回事呢?
WK: In fact, a design of the windmill that was in the book, it has got four -- ah -- three blades, and mine has got four blades.
WK:实际上,风车的设计在书里已经有了, 它有四个-嗯-三个扇片, 而我的有四个扇片。
CA: The book had three, yours had four.
CA:书里有三个,你的有四个。
WK: Yeah.
WK:是的。
CA: And you made it out of what?
CA:你为什么要这么做呢?
WK: I made four blades, just because I want to increase power.
WK:我用四个扇片,只是因为我想增加电力。
CA: OK.
CA:好的。
WK: Yeah.
wk:嗯。
CA: You tested three, and found that four worked better?
CA:你是测试了一下,发现四个比三个好,是吗?
WK: Yeah. I test.
WK:是的,我测试过。
CA: And what did you make the windmill out of? What materials did you use?
CA:你用什么来做这个风车的? 用什么材料来做的?
WK: I use a bicycle frame, and a pulley, and plastic pipe, what then pulls --
WK:我用了一个自行车的架子,一个滑轮,还有用来牵拉的塑胶管--
CA: Do we have a picture of that? Can we have the next slide?
CA:我们有那个的图片吗?可以跳到下一张幻灯片吗?
WK: Yeah. The windmill.
WK:有吧,风车。
CA: And so, and that windmill, what -- it worked?
CA:那么,啊什么?这是一个风车--能工作?
WK: When the wind blows, it rotates and generates.
WK:有风的时候,他就会转然后发电。
CA: How much electricity?
CA:能发多少电?
WK: 12 watts.
WK:12瓦。
CA: And so, that lit a light for the house? How many lights?
CA:那,够家里的电灯用吗?多少盏灯?
WK: Four bulbs and two radios.
WK:四个灯泡,还有两台收音机。
CA: Wow.
CA:哇。
WK: Yeah.
WK:是的。
(Applause) CA: Next slide -- so who's that?
CA:那--(掌声)--下一张图片-- 他们是谁?
WK: This is my parents, holding the radio.
WK:这是我的父母,在买收音机。
CA: So what did they make of -- that you were 14, 15 at the time -- what did they make of this? They were impressed?
CA:他们怎么看待的?你那时候才14,15岁。 他们怎么想的呢?他们很惊讶/高兴吗?
WK: Yeah.
WK:是的。
CA: And so what's your -- what are you going to do with this?
CA:那,你的--你接下来要做什么呢?
WK: Um --
WK:嗯--
CA: What do you -- I mean -- do you want to build another one?
CA:我的意思是,你是想要再做一个吗?
WK: Yeah, I want to build another one -- to pump water and irrigation for crops.
WK:是的,我想再做一个-- 用来抽水和灌溉--给农作物灌溉。
CA: So this one would have to be bigger?
CA:那新建的这个会更大些吗?
WK: Yeah.
WK:是的。
CA: How big?
CA:多大呢?
WK: I think it will produce more than 20 the watts.
WK:我想这个应该要发多于20瓦的电。
CA: So that would produce irrigation for the entire village?
CA:那这够灌溉整个村子吗?
WK: Yeah.
WK:是的。
CA: Wow. And so you're talking to people here at TED to get people who might be able to help in some way to realize this dream?
CA:哇,所以你来TED和人们谈这件事 让可以帮忙的人以某种方式帮助你来 实现这个梦想?
WK: Yeah, if they can help me with materials, yeah.
WK:是的,如果他们能我--提供材料,是的。
CA: And as you think of your life going forward, you're 19 now, do you picture continuing with this dream of working in energy?
CA:你想过你将来的生活吗, 你现在19,你-- 你想继续这个梦想,在能源领域工作?
WK: Yeah. I'm still thinking to work on energy.
WK:是的,我想继续做能源方面的工作。
CA: Wow. William, it's a real honor to have you at the TED conference. Thank you so much for coming.
CA:哇,威廉,非常荣幸你能参加TED的会议。 非常谢谢你的到来。
WK: Thank you.
WK:谢谢。
(Applause)
掌声。